Thursday, May 22, 2003

Didn't really watch the Maalaala Mo Kaya episode last night.... but the part I did watch was enough to rattle me into saying....

THANK YOU, GOD

The episode last night featured this son dying of cancer. He was to be followed by his brother several years later. And I couldn't help but think how blessed my family and I have been.

I cannot imagine my mother surviving a death of a young child. I can't imagine not being scarred for life with the death of a sibling. And as much as i'd still rather my deadbeat brother in jail rather than have him kill someone (which is kinda weird since he would end up in jail anyway, if he killed anyone)... sigh... I also don't want him dead.

Oh, I know i'd forever hate him if I see him fail the future niece/nephew he'd have... but I digress...

We have been lucky. All our bills get paid on time. We never had to sell properties and body parts and our dignity just to sustain someone's medication.... or addiction...

We're all relatively healthy even if Mom is on maintenance drugs for her diabetes. We still can eat whatever we want... we're not locked up in some asylum somewhere because one of us was demented or... really contagious. My brother has only been a really slight menace to our barangay... but that's it. My sister, at age 17... still hasn't showed up at our doorstep pregnant or gang-raped.

I could go on and on... and not really to tempt fate but to really voice out how humbling it is to realize that... my family has been blessed.

And i'm really, really grateful.

I really am.