Tuesday, March 25, 2003

My sister graduated from high school today.

Nope, she didn't do it with honors, she wasn't really as into academics as I was.

But i'm very proud of her. The number one baby in my life is fast growing up. She's recently been hurt when her bf broke up with her. I know that upset her studies and her self-esteem more than she'd cared to admit. And the nine years that separate us seems all the more bridged now that we become more and more friends.

Through her, I went through the rites of passage twice... through her, I was able to continually visit a childhood and innocence that may have been long gone. Through her, faith in the not knowing has oftentimes helped me deal with my own problems.

I can still remember when she first told me she was going out with a lesbian, explaining that no boy could give her the kind of caring she needed.. and how devastated I was, and how scared, and how sad that I couldn't protect her from the realities of the world.

And that one time when we had our worst fight ever, when she used a cuss word on me, and I pushed her down to a chair.. and she made as if to slap me. We've always had a problem with our tempers, but I couldn't deal with the fact that the person whom I loved best and who I helped raise would disrespect me so blatantly then. Of course, we made up. Of course, silly me, I was full of pride. And as always, living up to her name, she was the one who initiated peace.

Her name is Grace... and ever since, she's been blessed with that...

People would often say how kind and gracious I can be... but they've never met my sister. Lolz... just recently, she's asked me to buy Anmum for my brother's gestating gf. Isn't she sweet?

In one seminar I attended, we were told that a mentor is someone who inspires change in you. She's always made me want to be a better version of myself. She's my mentor. And again, I love her best.